Rusty is No Excuse for Careless



I recently interviewed for a position in management and happily I was offered the job. It had been more than 3 years since I interviewed. As a GCDF, I did my homework. I researched the organization, visited their website, set up a Google alert for the organization to keep abreast of current news and organizational changes. I ran a ticker tape in my head of how I would answer the age old questions, “tell me a little about yourself?” What is your greatest strength? Weakness? I carefully planned my wardrobe down to whether or not I would bring a purse or carry a bottle of water into the office( it was a very hot day in the city of Philadelphia) I toned down the makeup, jewelry and nail polish, chose close toed shoes and stockings. I didn’t want to miss a step. Rusty is no excuse for careless when you interview for a job.

However, what I did not expect but was prepared to answer were questions like, “What will you accomplish on your first day?” “How will you motivate your staff to achieve their goals?” “What do you see as the major challenges that our organization faces?” “How would someone that knows you, answer the question, what your greatest strength and what is your greatest challenge?” I must say, I stumbled on the last question; it made me aware that as a leader; I need to know what my team thinks of me. The fact that a critical level of self-awareness had eluded me was uncomfortable. It became apparent at a very inopportune time (A JOB INTERVIEW) that I need to fix this immediately. Ultimately, for personal and professional growth I need to know how I am perceived by the people that are in the position to make me look good or not.

The interview journey began with a telephone screening, a meeting with two stakeholders within the organization and finally the President. At the last interview, I made it a point to notify my references that they may get a call and to alert me if they do receive a call or email. One reference was a good friend by calling me prior to returning the reference checker’s call to ask me what she should say, I told the person to be honest and reflect on our working relationship. I was confident that the four people (yes four) were those that could best articulate my abilities as a manager and leader.

Receiving the job offer was validation that all my preparation was the edge. At no time did I think that there were not several candidates that were more qualified and better prepared during the interview. Eventually, I found out that there were 21 applicants for the job. The pool was narrowed to 7 then 3. If I had to reflect back on what was the one item that placed me in the serious contender position, I would have to say that I made it a point to express my desire to tackle the challenges that keep the key stakeholders up at night. I was direct in my appeal and I never minced words. I looked the President in the eye and said, I am your woman! I can do this job! My experience and education has prepared me for this job at this time. What did I have to lose? I only had something to gain by putting it all on the table. Clearly, it worked; I start my new job on Monday.