This is an UM! Free Zone-Toastmasters


This week I took the plunge and joined Toastmasters International. I have been thinking about it for years and never understood what was holding me back. It wasn't until I was teaching a class and caught myself saying UM, that I was horrified and emailed the director immediately. My husband completed the program about ten years ago and said it was a great help, especially when he was promoted to a leadership position. He told me that the first assignment is to get up and talk about something off the top of your head. Now, that would scare most people, but,I am a fiction writer (albeit a novice) and I have many stories spinning in my head. The hard part will be to select something appropriate. That will be VERY HARD.

Toastmaster's was started in 1924 by Ralph C. Smedley in a basement at the YMCA in Santa Ana, California. Smedley wanted to teach young men how to become leaders through effective public speaking. He took the name "toastmaster" since that was the term used in the early 1900's to identify the person that proposed a toast at a social event. Hence, Smedley chose to name his invention, The Toastmasters Club. The social club feel, he surmised would appeal to young men, and he was right!

I recently put in a suggestion at my job to bring Toastmasters to the college. We have a student leadership program that is well attended. The Toastmaster's at work would be open to everyone. The residual effect of Toastmaster's is the leadership component, it is the value added. Leadership is often about communication and body language. What better way to develop professionally than to have a command of public speaking. Having the knowledge on how to work a room and moderate your voice and movements to have impact, exude confidence and communicate a message that is compelling.

As a fan and supporter of public television, I marvel at people like Suze Orman, she captivates her audience with her public speaking ability. She is direct, animated and compassionate all at the same time. I aspire to become a public speaker that has half her charisma and talent. Suze Orman, fulfils motivational tips that are available on the Toastmaster website. Did I mention that they have a digital magazine? (FREE)
I wonder if Ms. Orman is a graduate? Here is what you need to know.

Be enthusiastic. Enthusiasm is contagious! Before you present your ideas, think about the aspects of the subject that you find most interesting, and don’t be afraid to let that interest come through in your voice.

Use quotes, stories and anecdotes. Along with their obvious entertainment value, quotes and stories can lend authority to your topic and provide concrete examples that people can relate to.

Speak with confidence. Deliver your message loud and clear. Maintain eye contact with your listeners. Don’t mumble or slouch.
Say you and we, not I and me. Instead of telling people what you want them to do, present ways for them to work together to achieve their goals. Involve listeners in the success of the group.

Keep it simple. People aren’t motivated by what you say; they’re motivated by what they understand. The best way to ensure audience understanding is to break down complex ideas into simple components.

I can't wait to get started. My first meeting if on Tuesday, August 7, 2012. I will share my experience on this blog, and hope that my curiosity will inspire others to UM! Join Toastmaster's too. Make your public speaking an UM! free zone.

LINK